Swahili   |   English
Image caption.
Image subcaption.
Registration of Marriages

RITA registers Marriages and Divorces, and also issues certificates. Marriage and Divorces is governed by the law of Marriages Act, 1971 Cap 29 .R.E 2002.

  • To obtain a copy of an entry in a register of Marriage in Mainland Republic of Tanzania.
  • To obtain a copy of an entry in register for foreign marriage. 

Requirements /Procedure:

  • Produce copy of Marriage Certificate or particulars of Marriage (names of parties date of Marriage and place of Marriage).
  • Provide Entry number in the Marriage Register.
  • Pay appropriate fee(current fee rate Tshs. 20000/=)

1. To register subsisting unregistered marriage.

Requirements /Procedure:
  • Fill appropriate Forms(RGM 18RGM 7)
  • Affidavit of Marriage (Stating that the Marriage is subsisting and not registered.)
  • Annex copies of Birth Certificates of children of the marriage if any.
  • Pay appropriate fee (current fee rate Tshs. 20000/=)

2. To obtain Certificate of no Impediment to Marriage

Requirements /Procedure
  • Fill and submit Forms RGM 12
  • Submit copies of Birth Certificates, passport if any.
  • Parent/guardian written consent.
  • Pay appropriate fee (current fee rate Tshs 200,000/=).
  • The form should be applied by the applicant.
NB. If the applicant is a resident in the foreign country the application should be routed through Tanzanian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate)

3. Licenses

  • To obtain Licenses to celebrate marriages within 7 days.
Requirements / Procedure
  • Fill the Form RGM 4.
  • Appropriate fee ( current fee rate Tshs 100,000/=) 

4.Special license to celebrate marriage

  • Special Licences to celebrate marriage in a special places other than one habitually used as a place of public worship or gathering.
Requirements /Procedure
  • Fill Forms RGMF 9.
  • Proof of good cause to waive the requirement for 21 days notice.
  • Physical presence of the parties to marriage.
  • Passport size photograph of the parties to marriage.
  • Appropriate fee ( current fee rate Tshs 33,000/= for District marriage and  11,000/= for Religious marriage)
  • Appropriate fee for RITA HQ (Current rate Tshs 50,000/= for district marrige and 16,000/= for Religious marrige)