REGISTRATION OF MARRIAGES
RITA registers Marriages and Divorces, and also issues certificates. Marriage and Divorces is governed by the law of Marriages Act, 1971 Cap 29 .R.E 2002
- 1. To register subsisting unregistered marriage
- Fill appropriate Forms(RGM 18, RGMF 7)
- Affidavit of Marriage (Stating that the Marriage is subsisting and not registered.)
- Annex copies of Birth Certificates of children of the marriage if any.
- Annex copy of Prove of Marriage. Example :- Certificate of marriage issued by religious leader etc.
- Pay appropriate fee Tshs. 20000/=
- 2. To obtain certificate of no impediment to Marriage
- Fill and submit Forms RGM 12
- Submit copies of Birth Certificates and passport .
- Parent/guardian written letter to verify the status of applicant and the identity card of the parent/guardian who verify the status.
- Pay appropriate fee Tshs 200,000/=.
- The form should be applied by the applicant.
NB. If the applicant is a resident in the foreign country the application should be routed through Tanzanian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate
- 3. Licence to celebrate marriage
- Fill the form RGMF 2
- For the first applicant need to attach the introduction letter from the head of ministry, a copy of registration certificate of the ministry/society and 2 passport size photograph.
- For the renewal attach one passport size photograph.
- Appropriate fee (current fee rate Tsh. 30,000/=)
NB: Religious leader of respective religious will fill the form RGMF2 (The application must channel through District Commissioner, who will make a comment on the request.)
- 4. Special licences to celebrate marriage within 7 days.
- Fill the form RGMF9
- Proof of good cause to waive the requirement of 21 days notice.
- Physical presence of the parties to marriage
- Passport size photograph of the parties to marriage
- Appropriate fee Tshs. 100,000/=.
1.5 Licence to celebrate marriage in a special place
To obtain licence to celebrate marriage in a special places other than one habitually used as a place of public worship or gathering.
- File the form RGM. 4
- Give reasons for the application of licence to celebrate marriage in a special place.
- Pay appropriate fee Tsh. 200,000/=
- The appropriate fee for the sick person is Tsh. 20,000/=
1.5 To register a foreign Marriage
RITA (Registrar General) has a mandate to registers a foreign marriage .
- File the form RGMF 7 na RGM. 11
- Attach English or Swahili versions of your marriage certificate (if your marriage certificate is not in English or Swahili a certificate translated copy by comuler officer or notary public).
- Attach tow Pasport size of a couple.
- Attach copy of pasport of the couple.
- Pay the appropriate fee currently is TSH 100,000/=.
- NOTE: Marriage contracted In Tanzania embassies abroad are regarded as marriages contracted in Tanzania mainland not covered by this procedure.
>>> FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTION